The Soil of Discipleship
Like soil in a forest, discipleship is the ground from which a life of following Jesus grows
18 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
Teaching people to walk with Jesus is the most important thing you can do in discipleship. We are showing and teaching others how to walk with Jesus on a daily basis.
In a relationship, things aren’t always as clear cut as the list below. People will be in one or several of these spaces at the same time. The idea here is not to get caught up in a step by step process.
I. The Invitation (The Call)
In week 6 - Study The Call teaching on app
Jesus clearly called his disciples into a relationship where he was teaching them about the kingdom life. It’s important that those being discipled know the context of the relationship. We are, with Jesus, calling people into a new way of life.
- Set a regular time to meet with new disciples outside of the weekly gathering - this should be at least every other week
- It’s ideal to meet with more than one disciple at a time (2 with 1). This is to avoid dependency on the leader and entering into simply counseling/mentorship.
- The focus of these meetings is Jesus, the word, and obeying what he says.
*As the church leader - don’t disciple everyone! Invite your disciples to disciple other members of your church within a month or two of being discipled.
II. "Follow me" Walking Together
In Week 7 - Study Follow Me on the app
- Open up your home to the people you are discipling
- Invite them into the personal parts of your life
- (I.e. How you raise your kids, cooking meals, creating a budget, managing time, and relationships)
Relationship is the key ingredient to discipleship. This will teach those you are discipling to pass along their own lives to the disciples that they make. Many times, discipleship happens as much by watching as by teaching.
III. Show and Tell (The Word and The Power of HS/The promise of living in the Kingdom)
Deliverance and walking in Freedom-You may find those you disciple have deep seeded issues (don’t we all…). It’s important that we show others how to live in their freedom and new identity in Christ.
- Teach them how to read the Word and have the Holy Spirit give them revelation. Think of something like raising a child. Learning to crawl, to walk, to eat with their own utensils, eventually, over time, becoming mature in their walk with Jesus
- How to pray and practice spiritual disciplines. The best way to do this is to show them. We pray together, studying the word together, practicing solitude and silence, fasting, celebration etc together.
- Bringing to the surface the calling, gifts, identity and purpose of their lives and helping them to live them out. ENCOURAGEMENT is key. We don’t simply hold people accountable to “not sin” but hold each other accountable to the calling God has place on our lives.
IV. Multiplication (Disciple Making)
In Week 8 - Study Multiplication on the app
After 2 months disciples should begin to make disciples
Strongly encourage discipleship to start taking place even with new believers. They simply need to share Jesus, who they know, what they know, with their new disciples.
Multiplication will happen naturally as those that discover this new life in Christ begin to live it out and share it with others.
Here are some of the evidences of Maturity
Fruit of life and character are obviously present.
Christlikeness obviously present.
Lack of habitual sin
Has a life focused on seeing others flourish in the Kingdom.
Producing fruit that lasts (other people coming to Jesus and entering discipleship)
No longer has to be told to do what Jesus says but is a self starter
Sees discipleship start to go to the 3rd and 4th generation
People that begin to show the signs of maturity in Christ are many times in a position to lead the next church that is planted through multiplication of your group.